Car bomb blast at security facility heard across Greater Cairo
At least six policemen were injured as car bomb was remotely detonated north of Cairo, no deaths have been reported
A large explosion has rocked Greater Cairo, with the force of the explosion heard all the way from Qalubiya’s Shubra El-Kheima to Zamalek and Maadi in Cairo.
Egypt’s Ministry of Health stated that the attack injured at least 23 people. The Ministry of Interior released a statement reporting that six security personnel had been injured in the explosion that targeted the National Security Building in Shubra El-Kheima.
The National Security building in Shubra El-Kheima, which is approximately 11 kilometers from downtown Cairo.
According to the Ministry of Interior, a car stopped in front of the building and had been followed by a motorcycle. The driver then fled the car, hopped onto the motorcycle and drove away moments before the car exploded.
Egypt’s security forces have since shut down near by roads to attempt to catch the perpetrators of the attack.
A car bomb blast destroyed the facade of a National Security building in Qaliubiya's Shubra El-Kheima district, north of Cairo
A huge car bomb explosion in front of National Security premises and near a court building in Qaliubiya's Shubra El-Kheima district was heard all across Greater Cairo in the early hours of Thursday.
No deaths have been reported so far while at least six policemen were injured in the terrorist attack, said Ahmed El-Ansary, head of Egypt's ambulance authority.
A driver parked the car bomb in front of the National Security building then escaped upon riding a motorcycle that followed him, according to a statement issued by the interior ministry on Facebook.
The parked car was remotely detonated as perpetrators are still at larger, with security forces searching the area to capture them.
The explosion has damaged buildings and vehicles in the area and shattered window panes, a security source told .
Shubra El-Kheima district is located north of Cairo and is considered part of Greater Cairo. On social media, residents from different Cairo districts say the blast was pretty loud.
Egypt has witnessed waves of bomb attacks primarily targeting policemen and police facilities since the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013.
No militant group has claimed responsibility for the Shubra El-Kheima attack thus far.
Islamist militants claimed responsibility for a host of bombings over the past two years, including IS-affiliated Sinai Province group, formally known as Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis.
The previous bomb attack that was heard all across Cairo was on 24 January, 2014 when a car bomb went off in front of the Cairo Security Directorate, killing four and destroying the building facade. Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for it.