Monday, January 19, 2015

#Egypt's #MOI preparing list of wrongly arrested youth to be released: #Sisi

The ministry of interior will also include those who were detained over minor charges



President Abdel-Fattah El-Sissi gives a speech at the Presidential Palace in Cairo, Egypt, Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Egyptian interior ministry is preparing a list of young detainees who were wrongly arrested or have been detained over minor charges, to be released before the fourth anniversary of the 25 January uprising, President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi said on Monday.

Speaking during his visit to the UAE, the president said the list include all cases presented by the media as well as Egyptian organizations.

The list is currently being revised by the responsible entities, the president added.

Two of the detainees being considered for are young men serving three-year sentences for attempting to overthrow former president Mohamed Morsi, he said, without giving further details. .

Morsi was ousted in July 2013 after mass protests against his rule.

In a meeting with political parties last week, El-Sisi had asked party representatives to make a list of arrested youth who were unjustly arrested.

Since November 2013, hundreds of Islamists and liberals, including many students, have been arrested for violating a controversial law which mandates protestors to notify authorities at least three days ahead of protests.

The law stipulates heavy fines and prison sentences to its violators.

El-Sisi stated that the country is not "targeting" young people.


"On the contrary, I don't hesitate to select youth for (official) positions, as I've found them more daring, enthusiastic and able to work," he told journalists.